Owner Relations

At Castleton Resources, we value our relationship with our royalty and working interest owners.


To assist you and answer your inquiry in a timely and efficient manner, you may contact us directly at the following:


Castleton Resources LLC Owner Relations

Castleton Resources LLC

Castleton Resources LLC

Email:  CCI-OwnerRelations@cci.com

Owner Relations Hotline:  281-714-2929

Fax Number 281-714-2972

Attn:  Land Administration Department

811 Main Street, Suite #1500

Houston, TX  77002

Email:  CCIJIB@cci.com

Phone Number (Voicemail Only) :  979-314-0599



1.  Who is Castleton Resources LLC (CR) and why am I receiving a Division Order, check or other documents from them?

Castleton Resources is a working interest owner in the referenced well(s) on your document and is responsible for disbursing either all or its proportionate share of royalties for production to you. 


2.  What is a Division Order?

A Division Order is a directive signed by the interest owner verifying to the operator of a well the decimal interest of production owned by the interest owner.  Also, it provides the interest owner’s address and Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Social Security Number (SSN).


3.  How do I change my address or name?

Please notify CR promptly of any change in address.  Address changes must be received in writing by mail or email with a signature.  For your convenience, a change of address form can be found here.  Please send changes to:


Castleton Resources

Attn:  Land Administration Department
811 Main Street, Suite 1500
Houston, Texas 77002
Owner Relations Hotline:  (281)714-2929     Fax Number:  (281)714-2972
Email:  CCI-OwnerRelations@cci.com


Please include your name, owner number, Social Security Number, prior address, new address and signature.  Send a copy of your marriage certificate to update your name as a result of marriage or divorce decree from the court as a result of divorce.  For a corporation name change please provide the certificate of name change with verification of the Tax ID or certificate of merger.


4.  How do I transfer my interest in a property?

Interest may be transferred by a recorded instrument of conveyance.  The conveyance must be recorded in the county where the property is located.  CR must receive a copy of the recorded conveyance to transfer interest and issue Division Orders.  You may want to seek legal advice when preparing these documents.  If transferring to a trust, please provide a copy of the trust document  and a recorded copy of the conveyance into the trust.


5.  What happens when the interest owner of a property dies?

Once CR is notified, revenue of the deceased owner will be held in suspense and a letter will be sent describing what documentation must be received to transfer the interest of the deceased owner to the appropriate heirs.


6.  What is the purpose of my “Owner Number”?

CR assigns a unique owner number in order to identify each interest owner.   When corresponding with CR please always include your owner number.  This number will be different from the owner number remitted by other working interest owners.


7.  When will I receive my revenue payment?

Revenue payments are mailed on or before the last day of each month.  If this date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or National Holiday, your payment will be mailed the preceding business day.


8.  When are royalty payments suspended?

For your protection, payments are suspended upon a title dispute, the assignment of interest, notice of death, transfer of property or in the event of no known address.  Keeping your information current can prevent this inconvenience.


9.  Why have I not received my revenue payment?

The most common reason is your account has not reach CR's minimum pay amount. CR's minimum payment amount is set to $100.  For those owners using direct deposit the minimum is $10.00.  


10.  What type of annual statements will I receive?

In addition to revenue payments, royalty interest owners receiving more than $10 and working interest owners receiving more than $600 annually will receive IRS Form 1099.  Form 1099 summarizes your total payments and tax withholding for the previous year.


11.  Does CR offer Direct Deposit (ACH)?

CR does offer direct deposit and the form requesting CR's Direct Deposit Authorization can be found here.  Please follow the directions as stated on this form.